Acceptable Residency Documentation
A resident for tuition purposes is someone who has maintained legal residence in Florida and has established two legal ties to the state for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes for which Florida residency is sought (s. 1009.26, Florida Statute). First time students at PHSC and returning students who have not attended within the last 12 months, will be required to submit two proofs of residency as outlined below. Students who have previously been classified as non-Florida resident students and wish to reclassify must provide an updated Residency Classification form and three proofs of residency as outlined below.
At least two documents are required. One of the documents must come from Section A.
- Florida voter’s registration card
- Florida driver’s license or state identification card
- Florida vehicle DMV registration
- Homestead exemption or warranty deed
- Official Florida High School transcripts or Florida GED (The student must have attended at least two consecutive years and graduated within the previous 12 months. Must be official transcripts.)
- Letter of employment (Must be on company letterhead, signed and dated by supervisor/employer, and contact information must be included. Multiple letters from multiple employers are permitted to prove 12 month employment history.)
- Declaration of domicile in Florida
Can be obtained from the County Clerk’s Office.
- Florida professional or occupational license
- Florida incorporation
- Utility bills (Electric, water, or gas only. Must provide 12-month payment history.)
- Lease agreement with proof of 12 consecutive months of payment (Can provide billing ledger from leasing office or landlord.)
- Florida ACCESS benefits (Twelve-month payment history of SNAP, TANF, food stamps, Medicaid, Medicare, or SSI disability.)
Student / “Claimant” must provide valid Florida driver’s license or state issued ID with documents
- Active duty service member of the US military stationed or residing in Florida (Current military orders or LES)
- US military veteran honorably discharged within the last 12 months with home of record in Florida (DD-214)
- Full-time instructional and administrative personnel employed by the State of Florida public school system and Florida public IHE. (School contract)
- Florida Pre-Paid (Current statement or pre-paid card with the student’s photo ID.)
- State of Florida Department of Children and Families Tuition and Fee Exemption for Students Receiving or Formerly Receiving Services from the Department of Children and Families (Request document from DCF case worker.)